Saturday, December 03, 2005

Men Pleaser - God Pleaser

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of God." Galatians 1:10
This verse made me step back and really examine my life. How many areas of my life am I really trying to please men? Am I serving God in all areas of my life, or are there areas that I am really seeking the approval of men?
For instance, is the way I dress totally about pleasing God, or do I dress with the thought of "this is so unfashionable - I wouldn't want my friends to see me in this!" or maybe "this outfit is so cute! I can't wait for my friends to see it!". Instead, my thoughts should be something like this. "Am I drawing attention away from my face at all? My countenance is what reflects what's inside, therefore I need to not wear anything that would draw attention to my body. Is my shirt to tight, short, low etc.? Is my skirt to short? Is anything I have on too revealing?"
Another area that I need to make sure I am not trying to please men is in the way I spend my time. First of all, am I faithfully spending time daily with my heavenly Father? Am I doing it privately, with in my "prayer closet", or am I having quiet time surrounded by men so that they can see how Spiritual I am, therefore, pleasing men?
How about the way I spend my free time? Do I entertain myself with movies or TV shows that are wholesome and pleasing to God, or do I watch things because my friends recommended it? "You should see this movie! It was sooo funny! It only had a few bad words in it." Does God really want us to subject ourselves to hearing even just a few bad words, especially if they are words that degrade His person in any way or take His precious name in vain? How about the music and book industry? Do I sing along with all the secular songs, or do I fill my mind with music that is praising to God? Do the books I read make me dwell on spiritual things or help me to better my walk with Christ?
These are some of the more obvious areas that constantly need checking on, but what about some of the not so obvious areas? Is the way I respond to my husband a way that I can please man? I think it is. When you are entertaining guests in your home, do you find yourself trying to present the relationship with your spouse in a different light than it really is? For example, when your husband does or says something in front of your guests that just the other day you responded in anger to him or complained to him about, do you respond differently- even lovingly- because people are watching?
When you are without your husband and some of your friends start talking about the problems that they have with their husbands and the things they do that are so annoying, do you join in and gossip with them about your husband? This is not pleasing to God! This is another way that we can please men. God wants wives to honor and respect their husbands even when our husbands aren't around!
How about the area of raising my kids? Do I seek to please men in any way in this area? Am I more patient in public with my children than I am in private, giving men a false representation of myself so that they will think more highly of me? Do I lower any of the standards that I have set for them just so they can have fun with their friends? Do I let them watch things that fill their minds with things that would draw them away from God in any way?
I am sure that if I spent more time dwelling on this I could come up with even more not so obvious areas of my life that need examining. I desire to be a servant of God. I need to examine every aspect of my life - the obvious and not so obvious - and make sure that I am not trying to please men in any way!

1 comment:

Bart Phillips said...

Just found your blog. I like what you have to say. Keep writing.