Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Who's helping who?

I had an incredible thought. God is not here to help me train my children. It's really the other way around! I am here to help God. This is a Master/Apprentice relationship. Although He is in control and I am here to assist Him, I still need His help to fumble through the task that He has assigned to me.
When situations arise that I've never dealt with before or have tried to handle and failed, He is there to offer me His hand. All I have to do is take hold and He will guide me through this life giving me the knowledge that He possesses.
Something that I have always seemed to struggle with is having patience. I remember that as a senior counselor at camp we would fill out an end of the year questionnaires. One of the questions was what do you think God has been teaching you this summer? My answer was always patience!
I Timothy 1:16 says "I was shown mercy so that in me...Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life."
Oh that I might have unlimited patience! That seems so hard to come by when your kids keep doing the same thing over and over again, or when you just put the finishing touches on your recently cleaned house only to turn around for two seconds and it's once again resembling the aftermath of a tornado! This is just one of those areas that I will have to rely on the Masters teachings and trust that He will perfect this work in me that He started.
So, the next time I start to cry out to God for His help, maybe instead I should try asking Him what I can do to help Him raise my unruly bunch of warriors in training!

1 comment:

Beth Young said...

Bev, what a great encouragement to me as I find myself lacking patience with my two lovies :-) Thanks!