Saturday, November 03, 2007

Crazy Mom!

My days have been incredibly busy lately! Besides the daily schooling and general mothering, we have been involved in a homeschool co-op, fitness at Beachmont, serving at Beachmont Round-ups, taking Julia back and forth to soccer, Tuesday Teen Bible study, and practicing for our church's Christmas cantata!
Sometimes I feel like I am running a marathon at times. There are days that I wish I could remember what it feels like to sit down let alone have an uninterrupted night of sleep! Still, I wouldn't trade these days of raising our kids for anything. I absolutely love the walk of life that God has put me in!
There are times, however, that I think I get ahead of myself and don't take enough time to pause and make sure that my life is in order. A perfect example of this happened just this morning! I was being my usual busy self and thought I would be a good Proverbs 31 woman and get up while it is still dark and go to Walmart to do our monthly grocery shopping. (Hey - it sure helped me make this decision when I realized I could shop solo and not take the chance of having a 3 ring circus in the aisles of Walmart!)
Anyway, I got up and dressed in the quietness of a sleeping household, kissed Dave and was on my way to a early yet peaceful shopping trip. On my way home, Dave called and asked me to pick up donuts for Nathan's birthday breakfast, so I made a slight detour to the Wawa and then came home and unloaded the car, put the mountain of groceries away and then decided that I could finally take off my shoes and relax for a little bit before going to Julia's tournament game. (Her team is undefeated at the moment - yay!)
When I went to take off my shoes, I was suddenly horrified, mortified and highly amused all at the same time when I realized that when I put my shoes on in the peaceful dark hours of the morning, I had put on one of my shoes and one of Dave's! I had flaunted my new style of footwear for over an hour at Walmart and then again to the gazillion people that flood the Wawa on Saturday mornings!
For the first few seconds of realizing my mistake I was embarrased and then I burst into hysterical laughter! Here I thought I would go and act like a totally sane mother for an hour or two and actually get my shopping done without multiple potty breaks and "clean up in isle # whatever" but nooooooo, I had to go dressed like some crazy woman who can't even match her shoes!
The saying usually goes "You can dress them up but you can't take them out", but in my case..."You can take them out but you can't dress yourself".

5 comments:

A girl who sees said...

This made me laugh so hard!!! I don't have kids, but sometimes, I come home from errands and I'm shocked at what I see in the mirror!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! I once thought I'd be this goody servy wifey mom type (the proud braggart type, if you read between the lines) and go pick up crabs instead of asking one of the menfolk here to do it.
Got dressed, hopped cheerfully into the car, and drove to the Seafood Stop which ALWAYS has wall-to-wall customers and nothing to look at except a few fridges and other people's clothing. I didn't realize until after I got home, ate crabs, and went to change into better-smelling clothes that MY SHORTS WERE ON BACKWARD.

Anonymous said...

cute!

Leanne said...

Don't worry, I'll make sure your shoes match before we get on the risers for the Cantata!

TheRagan3 said...

Too funny! I was laughing with you! Thanks for your honesty in sharing normal mom stuff. Guess the occasional spit up that ended up on my shirt - that I didn't see until I got to work - isn't nearly as funny as your story!
Erinn