Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Living Verses

I think that when teaching our children Bible verses, we parents tend to go for the verses that will benefit us more than our children. For example, one of the first verses that most kids learn is Ephesians 6:1 "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Or maybe its the next verse in Ephesians that says, "Honor your father and mother..."
We teach our kids the verses about being thankful, trusting in God, doing everything without complaining and arguing, and to do everything as unto the Lord.
These are great verses to teach our children, and I think we should teach them these things. However, what about the verses that we as parents should learn that would benefit our children?
Here's a few verses that I think we as parents should have memorized and that we should be living out daily for and to our children.
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."
"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (particularly our kids!)
"Be joyful always."
"Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness..."
"Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
"Father's, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."

These are just a handful of the Scriptures that we as parents should be putting to daily use. We are the example that our children have to look up to. Most of the bad habits or behaviors that our children pick up in their earlier years are from watching their parents fail in those same areas.
So many times I have started to rebuke one of my kids for a wrong attitude or action and then realized that this was the very thing that I had said or done, or that they are reacting in the same way or with the same attitude that I had portrayed. We cannot take the responsibility of parenting lightly!
Neither should we, however, throw our hands up in despair as we face this job of raising kids for the glory of God. He has seen fit to give us this responsibility, therefore, He has made us capable of carrying out this God given task.
I think that some times I can get caught up in wanting my children to always make the right choices. I have to keep reminding myself that my kids are in training so they probably will make mistakes and will make them often! That's why God has me training them! I need to be careful not to get frustrated with them, but to patiently correct them over and over again. I also need to remember that they are constantly watching my example and I need to make sure that my life is a living example of what I pray that one day they will become.
Here is one more verse that I think we should have memorized. This is in the amplified version. Colossians 3:21 "Fathers, Do not provoke or irritate or fret your children - do not be hard on them or harass them; lest they become discouraged and sullen and morose and feel inferior and frustrated; do not break their spirit."

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

Excellent post. You are so right.

Nicole Seitler said...

Wow. Good stuff! I liked the verses you picked out.

I too have been convicted when I hear myself telling Katie not to do something I've been doing myself. :P