Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lately in our families, it seems that there have been a multitude of hardships. My sister-in-law's parents are both having major health issues. Her mom has brain cancer and her dad just had to have a liver transplant. My sister and her husband are trying to adopt their nephew and have come across all kinds of obstacles. My dad is having some health issues as well. He has some real sinus issues that have been causing loss of sleep as well as having problems with his back that puts him in horrible pain at times.
My immediate family is no exception to these hard times. I have been struggling with health issues for the past year. We recently found out that a house that we own in NC had been dumped by our property manager and we had squatters living in there trashing the place. Even our dog joined in the fun by getting pregnant, losing the puppies and then needing to be spayed to prevent any further complications from a mass they found on her stomach.
I am writing these things not to bring on a pity party for myself or to conjure up sympathy from anyone that may be reading this. I am simply trying to create a picture of what the lives of so many people look like who live on the earth in this present day and age. I know that so many others out there can relate to our difficult times. It often seems like trouble never comes alone - it always brings company with it. As the saying goes. "When it rains it pours."
Lately however, the Lord has been bringing to mind that His blessings also come in showers. When I think about all the good things that I have in my life and all the different ways that God has seen fit to bless me, suddenly all these problems don't seem to make such a big pile. They are still there, but they don't seem so impossible to handle. Satan would try and use these troubling times to bring doubt and discouragement to my family and me, but the Lord would have us lean all the more heavily on Him as He showers us with His grace, His strength and His peace.

This brings to mind the words of a great hymn written by Daniel Whittle.

There shall be showers of blessing: this is the promise of love;
There shall be sesons refreshing, sent from the Savior above.
There shall be showers of blessing, precious reviving again;
Over the hills and the valleys, sound of abundance of rain.
There shall be showers of blessing: send them upon us O Lord;
Grant to us now a refreshing, come and now honor Thy Word.
There shall be showers of blessing: Oh, that today they might fall,
Now as to God we're confessing, Now as on Jesus we call!
Showers of blessing, showers of blessing we need:
Mercy drops round me are falling, but for the showers we plead.

Thanks be to God that we can receive His abundant blessing in the midst of trials and pain! His grace is truly sufficient for us.

"My grace is sufficient for you. For My power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

1 comment:

B said...

http://TheWeeklyJob.com/?id=288408