Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Purity from Titus 2

Titus 2:5 says that a Godly woman should be pure. If something is pure gold, it means that it is 100% gold. There is no part of it that is not gold. If something is pure chocolate, there is no part of it that is not chocolate. The Bible says that we are to be pure. What does this mean for us?
In order for a person to be pure, they must be free from impure things. It is just as much a sin to think about impure things as it is to partake in them. We should not allow our minds to wallow in evil and be fed impurities.
In this day and age, the list of impure things can tend to be a mile long! Here are a few examples of ways that we can be fed impurities.
Things that we hear and see on T.V. or movies such as bad language, immodesty and immorality. This is such a problem with Christians today. They feel that as long as they aren't using the language or they aren't physically involved in the immorality, it's okay to view these things by means of the media. Have you ever heard someone say, "That was such a good movie! It only had a couple of bad words." Think about it this way - if each bad word you heard counted as a percent of your purity, that would mean that if a movie only had 2 bad words, you would be 98% pure. Is that pure enough for a Holy God? Here's a thought for you parents - are the movies that you are watching after your kids are in bed something that you would want them to watch with you? Why or why not?
How about today's music industry? The catchy little tunes that we hear on the radio or playing in malls and restaurants that we find ourselves easily singing along to, are usually not songs that bring glory to our Heavenly Father.
One more example would be having wrong thoughts about others. This is something that I struggle with on a daily basis. Especially when I am driving! When someone pulls out in front of me or I see someone tail gating me, my thoughts are often something like "You idiot! Where did you learn to drive?" or "I can't believe the stupidity of some people!" These are people I don't even know! There are times when I have wrong thoughts about people I do know as well. Most of this probably stems from my own pride. In either case, these wrong thoughts cause me to become impure.
If we are to be pure, we must learn what Leviticus 10:10 says - "You must distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean."
We need to keep all impurities from our minds if we are to be pure. Knowing Jesus as our Savior should affect the way that we live, act and even think. 1 Corinthians 6:18 says that we should not just resist impure things, we are to flee or run away from them!
My prayer for myself and for my family is that we would be 100% pure before our Holy Father God!
"I will be careful to lead a blameless life - when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house with blameless heart. I will set before my eyes no vile thing.
The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me. Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.
Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.
My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me.
Psalm 101:2-6

No comments: