Saturday, September 24, 2005

Did you hear me?

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
James 1:22
I can't count the number of times that I've given one of my kids instruction, heard them respond correctly with "yes ma'am", and then find out that they went and either didn't do what I told them to or did what I told them not to do! Like when the boys asked me if they could out side and have a light saber duel. I said, "Sure, as long as you don't really hit each other." (okay, maybe that's expecting a little much from three little boys all under the age of 6, each holding a plastic light saber!) With in 5 minutes I hear someone crying! The offended comes running in - "Mom! he hit me with his light saber!", and naturally I respond with, "Well, if your going to play light saber battles, someone probably is going to get hurt. That's why I said to not hit each other for real."
Now, I know thay they heard me, but they didn't do what I said! How many times have done the same thing to my heavenly Father? As much as I get frustrated with my children for doing this, I know that this must frustrate God when His children do the same to Him.
Lord, may I not only hear what You have to say to me, but may I be diligent to follow through with Your instructions to me!

No comments: