Friday, September 23, 2005

Slow to Anger

Merriam Webster's definition of TRAIN: to direct the growth of (a plant) usually by bending, pruning, and tying3 a : to form by instruction, discipline, or drill b : to teach so as to make fit, qualified, or proficient4 : to make prepared (as by exercise) for a test of skill
Merriam Webster's definition of PUNISH : to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation b : to inflict a penalty for the commission of (an offense) in retribution or retaliation
I often find myself reacting to my children's actions instead of responding like I should. Instead of taking the time to actually see what has caused the problem, I let my emotions cloud my vision and once again, I find myself raising my voice to my kids. "Who did what?!! Did you do anything to them first?! Your both in trouble!"
God has called me to be a mother. One who "trains up her children in the way they should go". Training and punishing are two very different things. Punishing is meeting out justice when someone has done something wrong. Training can also be meeting out justice, but it is followed by words of love and encouragement. It is explaining why they must be corrected and what they should do in the future if the situation arises again.
Nothing is gained by losing my temper at my children. Intead, valuable teaching ground is lost by my example of an angry reaction.
Just as you would "train" a plant, we as mother's are here to "bend and prune" our children. We need to direct their spiritual growth. Pruning is not usually a pleasant experience for either the plant or the one doing the pruning. It often takes much practice. For example, my husband Dave tried to prune our apple tree in the back yard... Let's just say it's going to be a looong time until that tree starts to give apples again!
How much damage is being done to our little "plants" when we react to them in anger? Can someone who is "pruning" such a precious being really expect them to turn out the way they should if they are not pruning with carefully God-guided hands?
"for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires."
James 1:20 ESV

No comments: