Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My patch of rich, juicy kids!

Our family went to a hayride at a farm with some of our friends this weekend. While all the kids and the dads were on the wagon, my friend and I and our two little ones decided to visit the raspberry patch. Well, the patch had already been harvested, and it looked like it was pretty dry and wasted, but if we looked carefully amidst the prickly bushes, we could still find some nice juicy berries. Mmmmm! What a treat! Once we discovered that the berries were there, we spent almost an hour searching carefully for the delicious fruit. We didn't put any of them in a basket - we ate every single one! (we were joined by our kids half way through, and we did share our find with them)
I am reminded of how often I look at my kids and only see the dried up leaves and the tangled prickly bushes of their lives. Our children's lives our so precious to the Father! He would not allow them to waste away to nothing. We need to carefully prune back the "dry branches" to find the rich fruit that is most certainly there.
Each one of my kids has something special and unique about them. I need to be diligent to uncover these characteristics daily. I need to look past their tangled sinful nature and discover the beauty of what they are becoming by God's grace.
Lord, help me to not only see the areas that my children need to improve in, but help me to rejoice daily in the areas that they excel in and be quick to point these areas out to them. It is not good to only look for the things that my kids need to change. They would probably feel like they could not do anything worthwhile. If I show them the good that I see, it will be an encouragement to continue to excel in that area and to persevere in other areas that need improvement. May I be faithful to always point them towards You.

No comments: