Friday, September 30, 2005

Holiness ~ A Goal to Achieve

Main Entry: ho·ly
Pronunciation: 'hO-lE
Function: adjective Inflected Form(s): ho·li·er; -est Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hAlig; akin to Old English hAl whole
1 : exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
2 : DIVINE
3 : devoted entirely to the deity or the work of the deity
4 a : having a divine quality b : venerated as or as if sacred

www.m-w.com
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy'." I Peter 1:13-16
As I was reading these verses this morning, I decided that since this is a command given to us from our Heavenly Father, maybe I should understand more fully what the word holy means.
The first entry is one that I can only strive for. It is a goal that can never be completely realized because God is the only one that is worthy of complete devotion. I can only hope to become perfect in goodness and righteousness!
The third entry is what I want most. To be devoted entirely to the Lord Jesus and His work. I like how it uses the example of a temple. I am a temple of the Living God! This is a goal that is reachable for me as a mortal being. It will not come naturally. I must work to obtain it. I must be immersed in His Word and in communion with Him at all times. I must be a broken vessel that is constantly being poured into so that what I receive from my Father can freely spill out for others to see...especially my family.
I realize that right now, my husband and I are the main influences in the lives our children. They are gaining more influences as they get older, but right now as they are still young, they look up to their parents as an example of how to live.
Lord, help me to endeavor to be holy as You are. When my children look at me, help them to see a child of God wholly devoted to You and Your work.


No comments: