Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Always watching

I can't count the amount of times I have reprimanded one of my children for doing something that they thought I hadn't seen! The car is a great place for this. I will hear a bit of ruckus in the back seat and know from past experience exactly what is going on and who is causing the trouble! After the reprimand, the look of surprise that I get is quite amusing. I often respond to that look with "You didn't know that I was watching, did you?".
Equally as many times, someone will come to me with a complaint of "he hit me!", or maybe, "she took my toy!". My response to this? "What did you do to them?" Usually they were the source of the problem and the tattletale will be the one to get in trouble!
I Peter 3:8-12 says, "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another, be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."
I need to remember throughout the course of my day that my every action is being watched, my every thought is being read, my every word is being listened to by the Unseen Guest in my house...the Lord Jesus. Are my actions a reflection of God's presence in my life? Are my thoughts pleasing to Him? Are my words seasoned with the richness of His Word?
I can also remember that God is listening to my prayers throughout the day. I can rest in the assurance that if I am covered in prayer, the Holy Spirit will help me to guard my actions, thoughts and words.

No comments: