Monday, October 10, 2005

Overwhelmed with God's Goodness

On Tuesday at about 1 o'clock, I found out that our family was going on a little trip to Virginia...The next morning! We would be gone until late Friday night, so I needed to pack bags for everyone. This is no small feat for our family of 10, I can assure you. Before I could even begin packing, I needed to do the laundry. Again, not really a small task for such a large family! I knew what needed to be done, so I began frantically gathering all the clothes in the house. I started the first load, and after that... I got almost nothing done for about 2 hours.
Earlier that morning I had taken our youngest for a check-up and she had gotten her first round of immunizations. She was not happy. For the rest of the day all she wanted was be held, and even then she was very fussy. Every time she would fall asleep, I would think, Yes! I can finally put her down and get some work done! As soon as I would shift her in my arms, she would wake up and start crying again. How frustrating!
Well, she did finally fall into a deep sleep, and I began folding the clothes that were clean, and sorting out everyone's clothes to be packed, and then realized that I needed to start dinner.
Just as I think that I am getting on top of the situation, my husband calls. He reminds me that he has a county council meeting that night, and "Oh, by the way, did you take the dog over to your parent's house so they can keep her while we are gone?"
I think that you could have wiped me up off of the floor at that point. I was so frustrated and overwhelmed! Here it was, 7:00 and the kids were hungry, the baby was fussy, the clothes were not packed, the dog had to be delivered to my parents, and we were supposed to leave early the next morning!
I called my mom to make sure they were prepared for the dog, and I expressed my frustrations over the phone. She said that she would pray for me. That's when I should have stopped what I was doing and turned the whole thing over to God. Well, I didn't. Not until I managed to get my family fed, kiss my husband goodbye, and then throw all the kids and the dog into the van to deliver the dog to my parents.
Why did it take me so long to realize, that nothing would be accomplished in my own strength? Nothing ever can get done like that! Why did I wallow in my self pity instead of basking in the strength of Jesus Christ which is made perfect in my weakness? Why should I ever be overwhelmed with anything other than the goodness of my Savior?
Once I turned the situation over to God, thing went incredibly smooth. I got home from my parent's, got the kids in bed, finished the laundry, packed the bags, set everything that needed to be loaded into the van by the front door, and was sitting on the couch feeding the baby and eating a bowl of ice cream by the time Dave got home!
God is so good! Time and time again I lose sight of the wonderful truth that He wants me to depend on Him to be my strength. He wants me to realize that I am weak, but that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!
Well, our family had a wonderful time in Virginia. We visited Langley AFB where Dave had a service call, went to VA Beach, visited a lighthouse in Fort Story, and even got to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg!
Thank you Lord, for your faithfulness!




1 comment:

Briana Almengor said...

WOW, Bev! What a reminder we all need to hear...me, every day, several times throughout my day. I am holding onto this testimony today, as it is not even 9 am and I'm tempted to already want to call it quits, crawl into a hole and wait for tomorrow! :) In God's strength, like you and many of our sisters, I will instead persevere. Thanks for sharing.