Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Individual Kids

I discovered something today about my son Nathan who is almost 5. He appears to be left-handed. You would think that as his mother I would already know this, but I didn't.
Last year my mom was helping me out by teaching Nathan some preschool basics. At the beginning of the year she asked me what hand he wrote with and I told her I thought it was probably his right hand, since that was the one he seemed to do everything with. After making sure he knew all of his letters, mom began to teach him to write the letters. This is when the complications started. Nathan couldn't seem to hold his pencil correctly. He would grasp it in his fist instead of his fingers. Mom even purchased special finger grip guides that would help him to know where to place his fingers. It only helped a little. Finally, she made some headway by letting him write on the big wipe board.
This year I am teaching Nathan kindergarten. He is doing very well. However, he still struggles with his writing. Today we had to cut some pictures out and choose which ones started with the letter "c" and glue them in his book. Nathan's right hand (the one he was cutting with) began to get tired so he switched to his left hand. He was cutting straighter than he did with his right hand! I then decided to do a quick experiment with him. I had him write his name with his left hand. It came out just as well as when he would write it with his right hand. I tried the same thing with his numbers. Again, he did very well!
This whole time I had believed that Nathan was right handed. Was it because I had just assumed that because both Dave and I as well as all of his siblings so far were right handed? Was it because I wanted him to be right handed because it was easier to teach something that I already knew how to do?
Then this thought struck me. Am I molding my kids in a certain way because it's easier to do everything the same way with each child? Am I missing out on important abilities or needs that each child has as an individual? How can I better serve my children and meet their individual needs? It is only by grace that I will be able to do this. Thank God that His grace is sufficient for me and that His power is made perfect in my weakness!
I know this won't be the last mistake like this that I make, but I pray that I will be diligent to seek out the needs of each of my child individually. Each one is such a precious gift from God!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi Bev. just catching up on your blog. Two of my four children are lefties. Pretty amazing considering Jason and I are both righties. It is difficult to teach the handwriting. I'm hoping Josh (lefty number 1) will help Maggie (lefty number 2) when it's time for her to start really writing.