Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Insane Mother

I am convinced that all mothers must be insane! No one could possibly do all the things that we mothers do and still be sane! First of all, we don't ever get enough sleep. Especially when you have little ones. The sleep that we do get is often interrupted by kids having to use the bathroom, kids having bad dreams, kids wetting the bed, or kids getting sick!
And then there is Mom's Cafe. Are we running a restaurant or what? Not only are we expected to make 3 meals a day, we have to clean up from those meals. I won't even bother mentioning the many requests for snacks!
And then there is the laundry. Load after load after load. I have news for you: IT NEVER EVER ENDS! As soon as you think you've gotten to the bottom of the hamper there is another pile of dirty duds to replace the one you just washed.
A far as keeping the house clean, well, you may as well hire a maid! Oh yeah - we are the maid! If you have any kids under the age of 5 or so, you will notice that they follow you around the house as you clean. As soon as you pick up one mess and move on to the next, their right behind you making the mess you just cleaned up even messier than it was in the first place!
Okay, so far I've made us out to be sleepless maids who do laundry, cook and clean as well as being full time babysitters. Have I mentioned getting the family ready to go somewhere? Not only do you have to get yourself ready, you have to get all your kids and your husband ready as well as getting out the door and to wherever you are going to on time!
Do you feel like a failure yet? So often I feel so inadequate! I've heard it said that the wife sets the tone of the home. Do I really want the tone of my home to be that of insanity? I don't think so! How can I possibly set the tone of my home to be that of peace and soundness of mind? I CAN"T. It is impossible for me to do this. Only with God's help can I have peace in my home and in my family. If I start off my day spending time with God, I find that my day runs smoothly. I may still have some problems - that comes with raising kids. If they never had problems, then God wouldn't have given us the job of training them!
In Proverbs 31, it says that the godly woman gets enough spiritual food for herself and her house. If I don't start my day getting spiritual nourishment, then I won't have anything to give to my family. If I don't ask God for help before I start my day, then won't have the energy to run my house efficiently. God is my strength! If I rely on Him, then He will help me to accomplish great things - even something as great as being a mother.

1 comment:

Briana Almengor said...

From one insane mother to another, thanks for the reminder.
I find I have to ask God for help all day long; the morning alone just doesn't cut it, and I only have two!! I do admire you greatly, Bev! Thanks for letting us in on the secret to your graceful and peaceful nature; it's the secret for all us: our constant Companion and Helper, the Lord!