Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Master's Hands


THE WORKROOM
Before long He asked, "Do you have a workroom in your house?"
Out in the garage of the home of my heart I had a workbench and some equipment, but I was not doing much with it. Once in a while I would play around at making a few little gadgets, but I wasn't producing anything substantial.
I took Him out there.
He looked over the workbench and the few talents and skill that I had. He said, "This is fairly well furnished. What are you producing with your life for the kingdom of God?" He looked at one or two of the little toys that I had thrown together on the bench and He held one up to me. ? "Is this the sort of thing you are doing for others in your Christian life?"
I felt terrible! "Lord, that's the best I can do. I know it isn't much. I'm ashamed to say that with my awkwardness and limited ability, I don't think I'll ever do much more."
"Would you like to do better?" He asked.
"You know I would!" I replied.
"Well, first remember what I taught you: 'Apart from Me you can do nothing' (Jn 15:5).
"Come, relax in me and let my Spirit work through you. I know you are unskilled, clumsy and awkward, but the Spirit is the Master-worker. If He controls your heart and your hands, He will work through you. Now turn around." Then putting His great strong arms under mine He picked up the tools and began to work through me. "Relax. You are still too tense. Let go - let Me do the work!"
It amazes me what His skilled hands can do through mine if I only trust Him and let Him have His way. I am far from satisfied with the product that is being turned out. I still get in His way at times. There's much more that I need to learn. But I do know that whatever has been produced for God has been through Him and the power of His Spirit in me.
Don't be discouraged because you cannot do much for God. It's not our ability but our availability that's important. Give what you are to Christ. Be sensitive and responsive to what He wants to do. Trust Him. He will surprise you with what He can do through you!
Excerpt from "My Heart - Christ's Home
Robert Boyd Munger

No comments: